Individuals and Societies
The MYP Individuals and Societies program encourages learners to respect and understand the world around them. It equips them with the necessary skills to inquire into historical, contemporary, geographical, political, social, economic, religious, technological and cultural factors that have an impact on individuals, societies and environments. It encourages learners, both students and teachers, to consider local and global contexts.
In the subject group, students can engage with exciting, stimulating and personally relevant topics and issues. Many sensitive and personally challenging topics require careful consideration in the context of a safe and responsible learning environment characterized by respect and open-mindedness. The study of Individuals and Societies helps students to appreciate critically the diversity of human culture, attitudes and beliefs. Courses in this subject group are important for helping students to recognize that content and methodology can be debatable and controversial, while practicing the tolerance of uncertainty.
The aims of all MYP subjects state what a teacher may expect to teach and what a student may expect to experience and learn. These aims suggest how the student may be changed by the learning experience.
The aims of MYP Individuals and Societies are to encourage and enable students to:
- appreciate human and environmental commonalities and diversity
- understand the interactions and interdependence of individuals, societies and the environment
- understand how both environmental and human systems operate and evolve
- identify and develop concern for the well being of human communities and the natural environment
- act as responsible citizens of local and global communities
- develop inquiry skills that lead towards conceptual understandings of the relationships between individuals, societies and the environments in which they live
Individuals and Societies at Wellspring Learning Community
Here at Wellspring Learning Community we have incorporated the Lebanese National Requirements into our MYP framework. This enables us to meet the requirements of the Lebanese National curriculum, while adhering to international standards for teaching Humanities. Our teachers and students use multiple resources as part of their study of Humanities. It is essential that a variety of resources are used so that our students are exposed to many different perspectives, encouraging them to become natural inquirers.
More details of the curriculum for each grade level can be viewed here.